Monday, January 01, 2007

A house full of wonderful crazy ladies

So Parrish has some really awesome Honduran aunts and grandmas. Several of them live in a house together across town from Parrish so she sees them all the time. They are seriously funny, seriously crazy old Honduran ladies, and they help to keep Parrish on the straight-and-narrow. I got to have the pleasure of going over to their house on New Year´s eve for some tamles and some mistela (a super strong drink made with guaro - like rum - and orange juice with spices). We had a grand old time and I got to meet Navo. Navo was born on the 24th of december and her name is actually ´Navedad´which means ´Christmas´but she goes by Navo for short. I didn´t realize this, but when I arrived and was introduced to her, she shook my hand, gave me a hug and said ´My name is Christmas.´How cool is that? Here is a picture of Parrish together with Navo, Marcela, and Maritza:














Navo is on the right in the yellow. Maritza - an Aunt - is on the left. Marcela is next to Parrish. And Parrish is...the tall one...in case you didn´t know. Marcela is the matriarch of the family and at about 85 years old, she still goes out dancing till the wee hours, reminding us all of Steve Miller´s grandma... She is one of the most full-of-life people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. WAY cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home